I, standing twenty miles off, see a crimson cloud in the horizon. You tell me it is a mass of vapor which absorbs all other rays and reflects the red, but that is nothing to the purpose, for this red vision excites me, stirs my blood, makes my thoughts flow, and I have new and indescribable fancies, and you have not touched the secret of that influence. If there is not something mystical in your explanation, something inexplainable to the understanding, some elements of mystery, it is quite insufficient. If there is nothing in it which speaks to my imagination, what boots it? What sort of science is that which enriches the understanding, but robs the imagination?..... if we knew all things thus mechanically merely, should we know anything really?

--Henry David Thoreau, after watching a sunset, Christmas, 1851

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An Introduction

First and foremost, this is a place of play. It's a way to air one's own thoughts and experiences and to exchange insights with others. But before writing anything here, an introduction to who I am seems in order.

**********************

My special interest is in the powerful contributions of mystical wisdom to discovering a new epistemology of wholeness. I have studied this issue for more than 10 years both theoretically and experientially.

I'm most familiar with Sufism, Islamic science, and some of the writings of Traditionalists. Of course a mystical worldview is not exclusive to Sufism, but is found (with varied interpretations) in many other spiritual traditions. Having said that, I propose that Sufism might have some unique and very useful insights toward discovering a new, more holistic epistemology.

Relative to this topic, my range of interests include:
  • perennial philosophy
  • integral philosophy
  • traditionalism
  • trans-rational ways of knowing
  • inner epistemology
  • symbolism, including the role of the Divine Sophia
  • Sufism and its practical implications
  • Islamic science (especially the principle of tawhid and its potential value to Western research practice)
  • new, more encompassing research methods for Western science. In particular, I'm interested in methods that finally correlate with the findings of quantum physics...that take one beyond the ordinary epistemological confines of self, time and space
  • further investigations into the new research paradigm and method proposed in my dissertation...what I currently call "Receptive Inquiry"
  • contributing to discussions about reuniting science and spirituality

In this blog I will submit articles, anecdotal stories, and other miscellaneous ruminations.

If you also feel a passion for any of the topics I've outlined here, you are cordially invited into the discussion!


Debra Mater, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share